Wednesday, September 21, 2016

5:11 PM - Wednesday Evening



OR duty rotation for a month.
I knew it was coming. I knew it will be for 4 weeks. And yet I didn't know how tiring it truly will be. -laughs-
Only been 3 days in the Operating Room and I have already been in 5 different surgeries! Today I only been in 1, but that lasted hours, just about my whole shift. Hahah 4 plus hours standing and being an instrument nurse. 
Yna and I were the scrub nurses, she kept forgetting she was suture nurse while I kept forgetting I was the instrument nurse. That happened because I am so use to dealing with the needles/sutures, the re-tractors and other things instead of the scissors and clamps. The staff Nurse in charge of the room we used kept laughing because after a few hours I had to move around so I was bouncing from side to side. He thought it was cute and told Yna to move around, but to put hand in the scrub gown to stay sterile. After all of was over, our legs were killing us. Hahaha our instructors both left us because they got hungry and they were so tired so they said "Good luck, you know what to do."
Oh my gosh, I was so scared at first, but thankfully they doctors knew we were still new to knowing what they would need next, but Yna and I caught on pretty quickly! Before we knew it, we knew which clamp and whatever they needed with very little verbal instructions, of course unless they were thinking what they needed.
It was very intense, and the student surgeon, I felt bad for her. She was so nervous because that was her first surgery and she asked me if it was also my first time, and I told her no, but first time being the instrument nurse. -laughs- She was really sweet and apologized for taking so long to close the incision site. We all had a good laugh and said it was fine.

The first surgery I was in, I was of course the scrub suture nurse (my favorite), and it was just a c-section. The staff nurse who was assisting kept joking around asking me questions, which made a chain reaction to the nurses asking questions, and even Ma'am Babor started laughing and said it is my fault that everyone is talking, and to apologize to the Doctor for being loud. Thankfully the Doc wasn't bothered and enjoyed listening, made the time go by faster.
But now, the 3 staff nurses who run around the OR rooms, keep joking around with me. I adore them. One of them is this 50 something year old lady, and she is the sweetest thing ever! She keeps making jokes but then makes sure I understand what is being said because some of the surgeons are from Manila so I end up being problems with understanding because of their accents. 
The other is a head staff nurse, and he keeps me busy with mindless busy work if I am not on a case. -smiles- He figured out I don't like being bored. Thank goodness on that.
And the other one is this old guy(late 50s I think), and he keeps telling me if I am observing a surgery that no students are on, that I am allowed in and to watch up close, just don't touch anything because I am un-sterile. Thanks to him, I was able to witness so many things up close. 
And this one surgeon, he is a Orthopedic Surgeon. And yesterday I muttered how cool it was that he was drilling the metal plate in the ankle, and he asked if I wanted to see something cooler, and then pulled the skin/fat/muscle. to show me the bones underneath and told me which was which, and since I was scrubbed in, he said I could hold the clamp that was holding the fracture bones in place, I am glad my instructor allowed it because that was just cool. 
I really, REALLY enjoy being in the Operating Room as a scrub nurse. -smiles-
So far I love it.
I actually might be a good nurse in the future. 
I cannot give up on myself just yet.

Goal: Be the best damn cute nurse ever.

-laughs-
Sleepy time for this student nurse.

No comments:

Post a Comment